Tahani El Gebali: We Must Not Have Brief, Generic Constitution Provisions
Published Wednesday, 30 May 2012 22:15 | Written by Omnia Salah Eldin & Yomna Yasser
Judge Tahani El Gebali, Vice President of the Supreme Constitutional Court, has emphasized on the necessity of ensuring guarantees besides the rights while the making of the constitution.
"Egypt's constitutional experience reflects the fact that we cannot draft brief, generic and limited constitution provisions." El Gebali added On the sidelines of a roundtable organized by the American Chamber of Commerce in Cairo entitled "The constitution Controversy … What's Next?"
"Having generic provisions can allow committing violations. We must not be in rush while drawing up the country's constitution so that we can have a constitution that achieve the revolution's demands."
El Gebali said the new constitution must ensure guarantees not to be changed by the head of state.
"The key guarantee would be by ensuring the balance of power."
"Egypt is living decisive moments trying to surpass multiple hindrances. I believe that Egyptians will genuinely be able to deal with those moments by using their own solutions instead of resorting to other nations' experiences and ideas."
Most Popular »
- ‘Builders of Egypt Forum’ Kicks off, Inaugurated by PM Mahlab
- Egypt is Top Priority for Africa’s Tech Industry Growth – Isys Uganda
- Dubai FDI hosts Trade UAE-Egypt Forum after Egypt’s Economic Summit
- IBM Egypt Rolls out Watson Solutions for Disease Diagnosis via 3G-Technology
- ALEXBANK'S CEO Invites Foreign Investors to Invest in Egypt, cites economic and political stability