Egypt court sentences shop owner to jail for seizing commodity rations
Published 2016-10-26 08:12:39| Amwal Al Ghad English
Dokki Misdemeanor Court sentenced a shop owner based in the Giza suburb of Dokki to five years in jail and a financial fine of EGP 100,000 over charges of seizing commodity rations and refraining from selling them to citizens. According to state-run Al-Ahram newspaper, police forces arrested Magdi Mohamed for refraining from selling sugar to a member of the Supply Investigations Bureau, who was disguised as an ordinary citizen. Police forces arrested Mohamed after they inspected his shop and found 51 kilos of sugar, Al-Ahram reported. Last week, General Prosecutor Nabil Sadek ordered arrest warrants for a number of Muslim Brotherhood members allegedly accused of forming cells that planned to collect sugar from the Egyptian market, according to local media reports. The current shortage of sugar in retail outlets began several days ago and came after the market price for sugar increased from EGP 6 to EGP 12. The sugar price increase stirred ire among the population especially when most have been struggling to adapt financially to the newly implemented value-added tax (VAT), which in some cases nearly doubled the prices of several commodities and services. The “sugar cell” members are also accused of collecting large amounts of the now scarce commodity from markets. Three of the alleged cell members were arrested at a coffee shop in Nasr City.
- NATO seeks troops to deter Russia on eastern flank
- Egypt court sentences shop owner to jail for seizing commodity rations
- EgyptAir raises locally purchased tickets prices for flights taking off abroad
- UN must be reformed: FM Shoukry
- Amnesty says U.S. coalition underestimated impact on civilians in Syria
- Sisi forms committee to revise cases of young activists in detention
- US election daily dig: Early voting gives Hillary Clinton a boost
- Suspected Syrian government air strike kills Turkey-backed rebels
- Trump: Clinton's foreign policy plan would start WW3
- PM: Egyptian military’s role in economy likely to be reduced after 2-3 years
NATO will press allies on Wednesday to contribute to its biggest military build-up on Russia's borders since the Cold War as the alliance prepares for a protracted quarrel with Moscow. With Russia's aircraft carrier heading to Syria in a show of force along Europe's shores, alliance defense ministers aim to make good on a July promise by NATO leaders to send forces to the Baltic states and eastern Poland from early next year. The United States hopes for binding commitments from Europe to fill four battle groups of some 4,000 troops, part of NATO's response to Russia's 2014 annexation of Crimea and concern it could try a similar tactic in Europe's ex-Soviet states. France, Denmark, Italy and other allies are expected to join the four battle groups led by the United States, Germany, Britain and Canada to go to Poland, Lithuania, Estonia and Latvia, with forces ranging from armored infantry to drones.
The U.S.-led coalition fighting Islamic State militants has not taken enough precautions to avoid civilian casualties in Syria and has underestimated the impact of its operations on civilians, Amnesty International said on Tuesday. "It's high time the U.S. authorities came clean about the full extent of the civilian damage caused by coalition attacks in Syria," Lynn Maalouf, deputy director for research at Amnesty International's Beirut regional office, said in a statement. "We fear the U.S.-led coalition is significantly underestimating the harm caused to civilians in its operations in Syria," Maalouf added. Amnesty International said as many as 300 civilians have been killed in 11 attacks conducted by the U.S.-led coalition since September 2014.
The Market Quotes Powered By Forexpros, the Forex, Futures, and Stock Markets Portal.