Gulf Telecom Sector Boosts
Published Wednesday, 18 July 2012 17:47 | Written by Amwal Al Ghad
Gulf citizens have surpassed most of their global counterparts in fixed and telecom subscriptions, but still lag behind in broadband penetration, according to the latest data from the International Telecommunications Union (ITU), the global telecom association.
The UAE had the highest penetration in Middle East North Africa in fixed line subscriptions, and was ranked 17th globally. Saudi Arabia, meanwhile, led mobile subscriptions with nearly two mobile lines for each citizen.
Bahrain, however, was the surprise leader in regional broadband penetration, with nearly 14% of the population subscribed to the high end network.
Not to be left behind, Qatar led the Internet penetration with nearly 86% of the population able to access the web.
International News Videos »
Local News Videos »
Most Popular »
- World Bank, Egypt to sign Cooperation Strategy within a Month: Minister
- AfDB, Egypt to sign 2015-2020 Strategy Deal this Month: Minister
- Egypt studies participation in Uganda Road, Housing Projects
- Solar-powered Airplane lands in Hawaii after record-breaking 5-day flight from Japan
- IFC provides Egypt's PICO subsidiary with US$50mn Loan